The Academy has established a mixed farm that will serve to supply healthy and safe foods for students,
provide the opportunity for students to engage in farming activities not only as part of the academic
requirements but also to enhance their entrepreneurial skills. The farm is expected to act as a Centre of
excellence for the neighboring farmers.
The Farm Manager will be will be expected to work on the farm and not just manage people in addition,
S/he will be responsible for planning, organizing and managing the activities of the farm on a day to day
basis. The Farm manager will direct all duties having to do with operating the farm, including supervising
employees, crop and livestock planning and marketing of crops.
The farm manager must appreciate the need to create a safe environment for all people living and
working within the Academy further s/he is determined to satisfy regulations for safe, high-quality
produce, using good farm management practices, farmed in an environmentally sustainable manner.
Since farm produce is perishable, the farm manager should have a good understanding of post-harvest
management to minimize loss through spoilage.
Typical farm work activities
* Prepares records involving cost (finances) and production (technical performance) and keeps
them up to date;
* Plans finances and production to maintain farm progress in line with budgeted parameters.
Manages the procurement of supplies and farm equipment such as fertilizer and seeds;
* Prepares and plans the work schedules of full-time employees and decide when temporary
workers will be needed.
* Markets the farm's products, deciding when and to whom livestock, crops and all other farm
produce should be sold for maximum profit.
* Arranges the maintenance and repair of farm buildings, machinery and equipment;
Works very closely with agriculture teacher on planned student activities.
* Monitors animal/ crop health and welfare, including liaising with vets and agricultural experts;
* Maintains and monitors the quality of yield, whether livestock or arable crops;
* Understands the implications of the weather and makes contingency plans;
* Makes sure that products are ready for deadlines, such as auctions and markets;
* Ensures that farm activities comply with government regulations and other programs related to
* Maintains knowledge of pests and diseases and an understanding of how they spread and how to
* Applys health and safety standards across the farm estate;
* Responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of the farm estate incl. those areas that are not
(yet) in use;
* Makes expansion and development plans (incl. financial implications) for the development of
various areas of the farm estate
* Monitors and documents all yields and land use, if production goals have not been met, the
manager is responsible for identifying and correcting the problem to ensure that the farm runs as
efficiently and profitably as possible
* Protects the environment and maintains biodiversity;
* Has basic knowledge of and is able to supervise farm building and construction.
* Prepares a production plan that coincides with the academy’s calendar taking into account school
closures when internal demand is low and festive seasons when demand for certain items is high.
Skills and Competencies
* A good understanding of modern farming methods including hydroponics and aquaponics
Supervisory skills and management ability;
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
* Willing and keeps her/himself up to date of the latest modern as well as appropriate technologies,
research, developments etc in livestock and crop farming
* Has a good knowledge of the use of computers. Is familiar and knows how to use database,
Microsoft-office, internet and is willing to teach her/himself other software relevant to the posting
* Demonstrated planning and organizational skills and ability to meet tight deadlines;
Bsc. Agriculture or a related subject as horticulture, crop management, agronomy.
At least 5 years’ experience as Farm Manager in a similar function.
Demonstrated experience and commitment to farming;
Terms and conditions of service
The appointment will be for a contractual period of two (2) years renewable subject to satisfactory
The ideal candidates must embody Curiosity, Leadership, Accountability, Innovation, Responsible Citizenship and Excellence,– the values that drives life across all elements of The Academy for educators, learners, and staff.
Send your Application Letter and CV as one document stating your current position, remuneration, contact details as well as names and contacts (telephone and e-mail address) of three (3) referees familiar with your qualifications and work experience.
Indicating the Title of position and Reference Number on the subject line of your email to firstname.lastname@example.org hard copy applications will not be accepted. Only those submitted through Email will be considered.
The closing date for the applications is 12 th March, 2018